Hi!  Glad you stopped by.

Well, it’s week two of the build and I still have all my extremities, although, I think, I may have donated a pint of blood, collectively, from the various and sundry cuts and scrapes common whenever I work around sharp objects.  That’s probably why I now have a desk job!

This weekend, the weather cooperated to the nth degree.  Saturday was phenomenal for this time of year in SC, and today, while hot, was not nearly as humid as it has been.  Time expenditure this weekend was approximately 20 hours, counting Friday, and I’ve exceeded my expectations for the amount of work I managed to get done.  Sometimes I amaze myself. *laughing* (hey, if you don’t ring your own bell, who will?)

Lunch Saturday was complements of the the insect world.  Somehow, a spider managed to work its’ way into my Beck’s Dark bottle.  When I noticed him, mid-sip, I realized that it was either him or me.  I’m afraid I had to drown him.  I didn’t feel much like eating after that.  Kids, don’t try this at home.

OK, last weekend I started with the bare trailer.  I’m using a ready-made trailer that I bought from Tractor Supply about three years ago when I first got the TTT bug.  I’m perfectly capable of welding my own, which I’ll do on the next one, but I got a little hurried this time and wanted to get-er-done.  It sat in the back yard, covered, for a year or so before I built a full, pressure treated deck on it to use in my pressure washing business.  I stripped that deck off of it somewhere around Christmas time.  So much for hurried.

Last weekend, I added the new, pressure treated, wooden under-frame to the trailer.  This was done to allow me to have a sturdy base to add the 10′ x 5′ TTT frame to the trailer’s 8′ x 4′ metal frame.  Believe it or not, the entire TTT can be removed from the trailer in one piece by simply unbolting this underframe., (although it’ll take a few beefy friends to help lift it).

That was pretty much the extent of last weekend’s toils.  It was extremely hot and humid so I decided to work on my latest book instead.

Back in January of this year, I started preparing the 3/4ths inch AC plywood decking for the floor of the TTT.  It was something I could do in the house and it was time consuming, waiting for one coat to dry before applying the next, so I figured I’d start early and have it done by the time the better weather came around.  Unfortunately, I was involved in a shoot-out with someone who felt he had every right to sneak into my house at 4AM and help himself to my few possessions.  I took two in the gluteus maximus, both of which are still embedded in there, (where else, right?), and, rumor has it, he took three of mine in the leg and one across his forehead.  Missed it by that much!  Whether that’s factual or not remains to be seen when it finally gets to court.  That’s the latest “oh crap!” in the never-ending string of them in my life that has put “Nosty’s Nook” on the back burner.  Lesson learned: get a bigger gun! *laughing*

Now you know why “Nosty’s Nook” has gone from project to Quest, (I should have just named it Born Bent Over! after my last book).

But I digress.

I used three coats of Kilz Gold exterior primer and three coats of Valspar Latex Porch and Desk Paint on top of the Kilz, (both sides of all pieces), to make sure I had a good degree of weatherproofing, (I went even heavier on the end grain and edges).

On top of adding the wooden deck under-frame last weekend, I also coated the bottom of the deck boards with Henry’s 501 roofing patch., (below).  That was done to help repel the road water and such when the trailer’s on the road on those rainy nights and protect the plywood from rot and delamination.

Now on to this weekend.

To be honest, I had a ball!  I have always worked with my hands and love every aspect of woodworking.  Add to that the prospect of, one day soon, getting “Nosty’s Nook” on the road and into the mountains and this weekend was one of the best I’ve had in a very long time:  great tunes oozing from the Bose, cold beer and a few friends stopping by to offer their opinions and drink my beer.  They were, as always, extremely welcome and it was a pleasure to have them watching me work while they sat in their chairs and drank my beer, “supervising.”*laughing*  You know I love you, guys!

I made a few plan changes once things got rolling.  That’s not unusual for me.  I have a problem with conformity and order.  “We don’t need no stinking plans!”

I originally intended on building “Nosty’s Nook” five feet high inside but, after seeing it coming together, decided that the added weight and expense just wasn’t worth it.  Plywood comes in 4′ widths.  The added height would have required additional plywood, added more seams to the finished project, (seams are always a potential for a leak), and added extra weight which would have added additional strain on “Lil truck’s” transmission.  I compensated by lowering the height of the bed, (the one I’ll be sleeping on, not the trailer bed).  That cuts out a little storage space underneath, but the loss of under-bed storage pales by comparison to the added seams and plywood.

As of Saturday evening, I had about 75% of the framing completed. It doesn’t look like much yet, but stay tuned.  I’m a little in awe.  For the first time in my woodworking career, everything leveled, aligned and “fit.”  If you know me, you’d know that that’s quite an accomplishment:  And I’ve done room additions to a couple of my previous homes! *laughing*  I mean, uh, unless you bought one of my previous houses.  If so, I plead the fifth!

Things moved along even better today.  I had to tie a bandanna under my hat bill to keep the puddles off my glasses, but, despite the heat, the power tools and sawdust production were in hyperdrive.

After the exterior framing was completed, I started on the interior framing for the galley wall and, of course, fit the remote controlled A/C unit into that wall to insure a proper, slide-in, fit when the time comes.  Hey, who said camping had to be uncivilized?

The last thing I got done today was to cover the inside of the stock fenders on the Tractor Supply trailer.  These were open on the inside and, obviously, road water, bugs and what-now could have simply splashed, crawled or flew in.  I got a couple of pieces of sheet metal and cut them to fit the inside of the fender wells, then drilled and pop riveted the sheet metal to them.  When I pack the wheel bearings, before the first road trip, I’ll spray the inside of the fender wells, as well as the new sheet metal, with automotive undercoating to seal them and keep the aforementioned nasties out.

It was at about that time, 7:30 or so, that the sky started to darken and a bunch of ugly black clouds began to form.  I had everything but the kitchen sink out in the yard and didn’t want to have to start the clean-up during a torrential downpour, so I decided it was time to call it a weekend and get everything under cover.

A productive weekend, at least by my standards and, once everything was put away and under cover, the sun came back out.  The story of my life. *laughing*

Not a total loss.  The guys took an interest in “Nosty’s Nook” after watching me work last night and are headed this way with cooler in hand as I write this.  Last night they came empty handed! *laughing*  Things are looking up.

I’m off to show off this weekend’s progress and spin a yarn or two with good friends.

Next weekend I’ll start the wiring.  If all goes well, I may just meet my goal of finishing “Nosty’s Nook” in time for fall camping.  After this weekend, things are definitely looking like I might just make it; although, after all that work this weekend, I might just end up in a Hoveround tomorrow, eating aspirin by the handful to deal with the muscle aches.  I’m not complaining.  Life is wonderful.

I hope you’ve enjoyed my ramblings this week.  More to the point, I hope that this blog will point a few more folks toward the Teardrop and Tiny Travel Trailer world.  The Monday to Friday grind is gruesome.  Everyone needs a relief valve.  What better way to relieve stress than to stretch out in a lounge chair, far from civilization, and just read a book or take a nap?  When you’re at the house, there’s always something that needs to be done.  That “something” will gnaw at you from the minute you hit the couch if you’re at home, within arms reach of the task.  When you’re in the woods, you can’t very well paint that bathroom or wash those windows, can you?  Relax and enjoy life.  It may be over before you know it.

As always, feel free to email me or post a comment on this blog with any questions, comments or Heidy-Ho’s you might have.

And don’t forget: if you get a minute, stop by the T&TTT forum and have a look around.  You’ll be glad you did.

I hope to see you next week.  Until then,

Fino a che non veniamo a contatto di ancora!”   (Until we meet again!)


©Brian Greenleaf 2010.  All rights reserved.


    1. Thank you. I’m glad you’re enjoying the blog.

      Stop back by and check out the weekly updates and, please, feel free to let me know what you like and don’t like about the blog.

      Have a wonderful week.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s